Sunday, March 7, 2010

Little Pink Dress

Since starting school the question I often get (aside from "What do you want to do when you graduate?") is "What made you chose fashion?" Well growing up in Idaho there isn't too much you can get exposed to involving fashion. We always joked that we were about 5 years behind the major fashion capitals. However, I very vividly remember laying on my sister's bedroom floor making outfits using her fashion plate (only the coolest toy from the 80s) and I was always putting together outfits for my barbies. But I didn't know that I wanted to be in the fashion industry until I moved across the country when I was 18.

I was a nanny in the Bronx trying to figure out what to do with myself, which was something I did often actually. One day my boss offered to take me to "the City" while he took care of some work business. I very happily agreed, from where we lived it was quite the task to get to the city, and I was always TERRIFIED to drive myself in. So I packed up my bag and jumped in the car. We arrived in NYC and he dropped me off at the NBC studio and we agreed to meet back in 3 hours.

I headed to my favorite street in all of New York, Fifth Ave. I down one side and back up the other. I stopped at Saks, and Armani, and St Patrick's Cathedral, but it was the window at Gucci that grabbed my attention. It was this amazing pink sheath cocktail dress. AMAZING! I had to go get a closer look. So I walked my happy self in and went right to the 3rd floor. There is was in all it's fashion glory. The material was something I have never touched before. The zipper was even the perfect combination of style and function. I just stood there in complete awe. I swear I heard the fashion angels singing this garments praise. It was perfection. I thought I was only there for a little while, but apparently not. I had a sales associate kindly tell me to either buy it or I had to leave, I was there a little over a hour... Oops. At that moment I KNEW I had to be in this industry. I went home and started sketching, looking up designers, and taking every chance I had to go to the City for inspiration, but I will always remember that GORGEOUS captivating dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment